Monday, January 31, 2022

In The Garden at Madame's Boarding House

Lord Andrew Charles asked for an audience as the custom to see the Duke of Norfolk Territory and naturally Lord Charles Andrew JR granted Lord Andrew Charles as he was his father and he had always tried to be there for his children.


Lord Charles Andrew Howard stood in the drawing room with his wife, Lad Patricia 


and when Lord Andrew Charles walks in to where his father and mother are and he bows as is the custom to the Duke of Norfolk Territory even if you are their children. 

Lord Charles Andrew smiles and asks " What is my son ?" 

"Father, mother, I have found the young woman I want to marry ,but I don't know how she feels about me." Lord Andrew Charles tells his father and mother.

"Who is this young woman who has caught your heart.?" Lord Charles Andrew JR asks.


"Karissa Elizabeth Ann Lowell is her name." Lord Andrew Charles tells his father and mother.


Lord Charles Andrew JR and Lady Patricia look at each other and they don't know what to make of their youngest son, Lord Andrew Charles.


“Lord Andrew Charles. You can’t make a young woman love you.” Lord Charles Andrew Howard Junior tells him.


“Gosh, dad. You are Duke of Norfolk Territory and can’t you use your influence please.” Lord Andrew Charles asks his dad.


“I am sorry Mademoiselle Karissa doesn’t live in our territory and she lives in Bedford Territory. You may want to try your second cousin, Lord Richard William Carey to get an introduction.” Lord Charles Andrew JR states.


“I have never gotten along with Lord Richard William Carey, despite the fact that he is my second cousin.” Lord Andrew Charles tells his father.


“Lord Andrew Charles. Lord Richard William Carey is the great-grandson of Lady Sophia Charlotte Howard who was your grandfather’s sister.” Lord Charles Andrew JR states.


“Your grandfather didn’t have many good traits, but he did love his sister.” Lord Charles Andrew JR states.


“Lord George Carey was my first cousin and his son was my first cousin once removed, and Lord Richard William Carey is my first cousin once removed and that makes him your second cousin.” Lord Charles Andrew states.


“Father, Lord Richard William has his eyes on Karissa too.” Lord Andrew Charles explained.


“We have only met Mademoiselle Karissa once when she first arrived here. “ Lord Charles Andrew JR states, “ I must admit I liked her.” 


“Please dad. Ask Lord Richard William to introduce me to Karissa.” Lord Andrew Charles asks his dad.


“I will contact him and ask him to arrange a meeting between Mademoiselle Karissa and you and the rest is left up to the young woman to accept you or refuse you.” Lord Charles Andrew JR states.


Lord Andrew Charles is content with the fact that his father will contact his second cousin and ask him to arrange an introduction but of course with Lord Richard William Carey receives the request he looks at the letter and answers “ My Dear Cousin. I received your request and I will do what I can but the lady shows no liking towards any of us.” 


Lord Richard William Carey travels out to Madame’s Boarding House and when Madame Valois sees Lord Richard William Carey . She is delighted to see Lord Richard William Carey.


“Bonjour Monsieur Carey.’ Madame Valois tells him.

“Good Morning Madame Valois. I am wondering if Mademoiselle Karissa is around?” Lord Richard William asks.


“Why yes. Monsieur Carey. Mademoiselle Karissa is out in the garden where she spends most of her time reading.” Madame tells him “ You know where my late husband’s garden is.”


“I do Madame Valois, and Monsieur Valois loved that garden.” Lord Richard William tells her.


“Mademoiselle Karissa is helping me with the garden.” Madame tells him.


Lord Richard William Carey walks around the path that takes him to the garden door and he walks in and he calls out “ Mademoiselle Karissa are you in the garden.” 


Karissa calls out “ Who is calling for me?” 

“It is Lord Richard William Carey, Duke of Bedford Territory Mademoiselle Karissa.” Lord Richard William calls back.


“May I join you if it isn’t too much to ask?” Lord Richard William Carey calls out.


“You may join me, Lord Carey.” Karissa calls out and he starts to walk around the garden and he sees Karissa sitting under a tree in the garden and she is dressed in  a navy blue Victorian dress and bonnet and she is reading.

“Good Morning Karissa . I hope I am not disturbing you.” Lord Richard William asks.


“No, Lord Carey. You are not bothering me.” Karissa answers.


“I have come to you with a request from my cousin, Lord Charles Andrew Howard JR if you will see his son, Lord Andrew Charles.” Lord Richard William tells her.


“What can’t Lord Howard deliver his own message or request to me.” Karissa asks.


“It is our custom to ask the presiding Duke of the territory to ask for the introduction.” Lord Richard William Carey “since he is out of his territory he can’t do it.” 


“Lord Carey. I am not an aristocrat and I don’t follow your rules or decorum.’ Karissa replies.


“I am a commoner and I follow my own rules.” Karissa tells him.


“Furthermore, I don’t work with emissaries.” Karissa answers.


“Please tell your cousin, Lord Howard, that if he would like me to see his son his son must ask me.” Karissa explains “I don’ t promise any man either an aristocrat or commoner, a meeting with me.” Karissa tells him.


“I will relay your message to Lord Charles Andrew JR and my cousin, Lord Andrew Charles.” Lord Richard William tells her.


“How have you been since you have arrived on Star Base 12?” Lord Richard William asks.


“I am fine thank you.” Karissa answers. “ I was hoping to see Kevin Riley once again but I guess he is too busy with his studies.” Karissa tells him.


“You will find Kevin at Star-Fleet Academy.” Lord Richard William tells her.


“If Kevin wants to see me He knows where I am.” Karissa tells him.


“Aren’t there any ordinary people living on Star Base 12 , other than stuffy runny nose aristocrats with golden spoons stuck up their asses.” Karissa asks.


“Star Base 12 was first settled with European aristocrats in 2159, but we have ordinary people living in the territories.” Lord Richard William explains.


“What are you reading Mademoiselle Karissa?” Lord Richard William asks.


“The Secret Garden.” Karissa answers “Do you know the novel?” 


“I may be familiar with the author.” Lord Richard William tells her.


“What kind of music do you like, Lord Carey?” Karissa asks.


“Please call me Lord Richard William or simply Lord Richard.” Lord Richard William asks.


“As you wish.” Karissa answers.


“To answer your question. I like Classical music.” Lord Richard William tells her.

“Do you dance,or do you sing?” Karissa asks.


“I used to dance and I used to sing before my voice cracked.” Lord Richard William explains.


“I see, but do you dance still?” Karissa asks.


“I have two left feet.” Lord Richard William tells her with a laugh.


“What do you do for pleasure?” Karissa asks.


“I spend my time in my library and I play the piano some.” Lord Richard William states.


“Being Duke of Bedford Territory is a big responsibility.” Lord Richard tells her.


“I came into it when both my grandfather and father died.” Lord Richard William tells her.


“I see.” Karissa answers “but do you like it?” 


“It is my inheritance and my birthright.” Lord Richard explains.


“I spent my time reading and out in the garden.” Karissa tells him.


“I don’t particularly like any of the young women living here.” Karissa admits.


“I find them rather prudish.” Karissa says with a laugh.


“Prudish, Mademoiselle Karissa ?” Lord Richard William asks.


“Yes They are very virginal and naive.” Karissa tells them.


“I try to avoid them at all costs.” Karissa tells them.


“The young women are here to say the least very vain, self-centered, and spoiled by their fathers and presently their father’s are looking to marry them off.” Lord Richard explains “Or as their fathers trying to find brides for their sons.” 


“I see and is Lord Howard trying to find a wife for his youngest son?” Karissa asks.


“No, my second cousin, Lord Andrew Charles won’t fall for that. He will not marry a woman unless he loves her.” Lord Richard William states.


“I must admit that is very smart.” Karissa admits


“What about you, Lord Richard, are you smarter than your second cousin?” Karissa asks.


“I don’t care to marry any  of these women either.” Lord Richard William admits “ They don’t interest me.” 


“I will keep waiting until she arrives.” Lord Richard William tells her.


“What if your dream woman never shows up?” Karissa asks.


“I remain single and my territory will pass onto my sister.” Lord Richard William tells her.


“My sister Lady Richenda Wilhelmina is married to Lord Louis Valois and they have two children, Lady Lettice Isabella Valois and Lord Robert Louis Valois.” Lord Richard William explains.


Karissa  looks at Lord Richard William and she is silent but she doesn’t let him know what she is thinking.


“Please tell Lord Howard, I will see his youngest son, Lord Andrew Charles.” Karissa tells him.


“Lord Andrew Charles must travel out here to see me.” Karissa tells Lord Richard William.


“I will convey your message.” Lord Richard William tells her.


“Please if you do see Kevin, tell him I am asking about him.” Karissa asks.


“My cousin, Lord David Beck works out at Star-Fleet Academy as the medical office. Lord David is my cousin’s grand nephew.” Lord Richard William explains.


“Lord David William Beck and I are related through Lord Frederick William Howard. Lord David is related through his second son, Lord Charles Andrew Howard Senior and his youngest son, Lord Edwin William Howard and his daughter, Lady Eliza Katherine Howard.” Lord Richard William explains.



“I am Lord Charles Andrew Howard Senior great-great--nephew through his sister, Lady Sophia Charlotte who is my great-grandmother and my father was his nephew, and my father was his great-nephew and I am his great-great-nephew.” Lord Richard William states “ Lord Andrew Charles and I share the same great-great-grandfather, Lord Frederick William Howard.”


“Beg your pardon but Lord Andrew Charles' great-grandfather is Lord Frederick William Howard and he is your great-great-grandfather and he is your first cousin thrice removed.” Karissa tells him.


“Lord Andrew Charles is your first cousin twice removed.” Karissa states.

“Your father and Lord Howard were first cousins and Lord Andrew Charles and your father were first cousins once removed, and you are his first cousin twice removed.” Karissa tells him.


“Your common ancestor is Lord Patrick William Howard who had Lord Frederick William Howard who had Lord Andrew Charles grandfather and your great-grandmother.” Karissa tells him.


“Tell Lord Charles Howard Junior I will receive his son here at Madame’s Boarding House but he better mind his manners.” Karissa tells him.


Lord Richard William says  “I will convey your message.” and with that he bows and  he walks out of the garden and he rides towards Norfolk Estate to tell his cousin Lord Charles Andrew Howard that Karissa will see Lord Andrew Charles.


“I have come to tell you that Karissa has agreed to see Lord Andrew Charles. However, she asked me to tell you that she doesn’t work with emissaries.” Lord Richard William explains “ Next time the request to see her must come directly from Lord Andrew Charles.” Lord Richard William states.


Lord Charles Andrew JR smiles “  I like her already. She has grit, and guts and she is exactly the kind of young woman that will put my son into his place.” Lord Charles Andrew says with a laugh.


Lord Andrew Charles smiles and he tells his cousin “ Thank you for this Lord Richard William.” 


“One thing she asked me to tell you to mind your manners when you come to visit her.” Lord Richard William tells Lord Andrew Charles.



“I will be a perfect gentleman.” Lord Andrew Charles promises.


“Mademoiselle Karissa isn’t your ordinary girl”   Lord Richard William tells Lord Andrew Charles.


Lord Andrew Charles has gotten his first visit with Karissa out at Madame’s Boarding House.






6 comments:

The first Lord Andrew Charles Howard, Duke of Northumberland Territory

  The first Lord Andrew Charles Howard was the youngest son and child of Lord Frederick William Howard and Lady Jeannette Virginia Beaufort....